Notes on BSB I-i-4-1F for forward to Advaita-L

Dennis Waite dwaite at d...
Fri Mar 30 14:45:53 CST 2001

Notes on BSB I-i-4-1F

sadaashiva samaarambhaa.n sha~Nkaraachaarya
madhyamam.h |
asmadaachaarya paryantaa.n vande guruparamparaam.h ||

I prostrate to the lineage of teachers starting from Lord Shiva who is ever
auspicious and with Bhagavaan Shankara in the middle and all the way up to
my own teacher.

vaatsalya ruupa.n triguNairatiitaM
aananda saandram amalairnidhaanam.h .|
shrii chinmayaananda guro praNiitaM
sadaa bhaje.aha.n tava paada pa~Nkajam.h ||

Who is the very embodiment of motherly affection who is beyond the three
guNa-s, who is full with bliss, and who is the very source of purity who is
the best among the
teachers, Shree Chinmayaananda, to his lotus feet I (sadaa) always
prostrate.
 samanvaya adhyaaya - I
 spashhTa brahma li~Nga vaakya samanvaya paada - i
 samanvaya adhikaraNam.h .- 4
 suutra: tat tu samanvayaat.h .-1F

Notes on BSB I-i-4-1F

2. The next point of puurvapakshii '-s argument is that vedaanta j~naanam
being useless as such should be applied towards karma (according to bhaTTa
matam) or upaasanaa (according to praabhaakara matam).

The reason these matam -s insist on this application is because they cannot
totally reject part of the Veda-s as useless and part useful. They are
forced to make this
connection to make the so-called useless statement useful.

Shankara says there is nothing more ridiculous than these forced
connections.
It is impossible to apply or connect siddhabodhaka vedaanta vaakyam -s to
karma or upaasanaa. In the previous siddhaanta it is argued that the Vedanta
need not be connected since it give j~naanam which is useful to solve the
fundamental human problem whose root cause is ignorance. In this siddhaanta
it is argued that it cannot be connected with karma or upaasanaa even if one
wants to try to do that. The first reason Shankara says is the vedaanta
j~naanam eliminates duality, which is the very basis for karma and
upaasanaa.

tat kena kaM pashyet (there seer-seen distinctions gone) - na iha naanaa
asti
ki.nchana (there is no speck of plurality) - yasmin sarvaaNi bhuutaani
aatmaa eva abhuut ( where all the beings other than the self non-existent),
etc says Vedanta. upaasanaa also requires upaasya - upaasaka bheda , karma
requires kartR^i - karaNa aadi bheda and Vedanta knocks off all these
bheda -s involving subject-object dualities. After a knowledge of Advaita
how can Advaita j~naanam be applied in the field of dvaitam. It is
impossible.

2) In addition to being kartaa , the Vedanta knowledge involving Advaita
knocks off the notions of varNaashrama which is one of the criteria for
certain yaaga-s. For example a Brahmin alone is qualified for certain
yaaga-s - brahmaNaH bR^ihaspati savena yajeta , - the bR^ihaspati sava
yaagam can be performed by a Brahmin only.
raajaa raajasuuyane yajeta - Only the king can perform the raajasuuya yaaga.
Not only varNa status, one has to retain aashrama status for performing
yaga.
Without a wife one cannot perform certain yaaga-s that a house-holder has to
do.
What brahmachaari can do, a gR^ihastha cannot do. What gR^ihastha can do a
brahmachaari should not.

na varNaaH na varNaashrama aachaara dharmaaH
na me dhaaraNaa - dhyaana - yoga - aadayaH api |
anaatma - aashrayaa ahaM - mama - adhyaasa - haanaat
tat ekaH avashishhTaH shivaH kevalaH aham.h || 2 ||

Shankara - dashashlokii

Hence Vedanta negates kartR^itvam and varNaashrama status and having
negated that how can it be combined with karma and upaasanaa which require
kartR^itvam?

The third reason: Vedanta positively condemns karma and upaasanaa as bandha
hetu or cause for bondage. In MunDaka Upa. (1-2-7)

plavaa hi ete adR^iDhaa yaj~naruupaa
ashhTaadashoktam avaram yeshhu karma |
etat shreyaH ye abhinandanti muuDhaaH
jaraa mR^ityum te punaH eva apiyanti ||

Those people who hold on to karma hoping that it will take them across
the ocean of sa.nsaara , they are all muuDhaaH - most ignorant. They will go
to heaven and come back and again go through the cycle of sa.nsaara. Hence
after the vedaanta j~naanam the person loses the purushhaarthatva buddhi in
karma. Hence how can it be possible to connect vedaanta j~naanam to karma?
Similarly upaasanaa also -
na karmaNaa na prajayaa dhanena tyaagena eke
amR^itatvam aanashhuH - [Kaivalya up. 2]

karma cannot give moksha after saying that how can Veda say that therefore
perform karma?

vedaanta vij~naana sunischitaarthaaH sa.nnyaasa yogaat
yatayaH shuddhasatvaaH |

In Gita - sarva dharmaan parityajya maam ekam sharaNam
vraja | - Hence the third reason is that vedaanta j~naanam is contradictory
to karma
therefore it can never combine with karma. Hence Shankara declares in
Atmabodha
-
avirodhitayaa karma , avidyaa na nivartayet.h |
vidyaa avidyaam nihanti eva tejaH timira sa~Nghavat.h ||

karma is being opposite cannot remove ignorance. Only knowledge can remove
ignorance just as the light removes the darkness. Hence one cannot say that
siddhabodhaka vaakyam-s should be connected to kaaryabodhaka vaakyam-s.
In the karmakaanDa one may be able to connect to the kaaryabodhaka
vaakyam-s. There the knowledge is how and why one should perform the
rituals. But the Vedanta is dealing with a different problem and one cannot
force any connection to the siddhabodhaka vaakyam-s of Vedanta to karma or
upaasana.

The reason four: The fourth objection is related to the puurvamiimaa.nsaka
'-s
declaration that Brahman is not at all there. Shankara says it is not true.
To find out what is revealed by shaastra the puurvamiimaa.nsaka -s
themselves have come up with the procedure involving the shhaD - li~Nga or
six factors of determination. Their own criteria of shhaD - li~Nga or six
factors have been applied to Vedanta and it has been shown that Brahman is
revealed by the shaastram. upakramaadi shhaD - li~NgaiH tat brahma
shaastrasya vishhayaH
samanvayaat or nirnayaat |
When it has been clearly shown that Brahman is indeed revealed by Vedanta
how can one say that Brahman is non-existent, unless one is a naastika. In
that case you have to
reject swarga, heaven also, since you cannot establish that by pratyaksha or
anumaana etc and it is revealed only by Veda. Hence brahma asti, vedaanta
taatparya vishhayatvaat.

In addition puurvapakshii says that Brahman is not there, because it is
neither useful as an end or useful as a means, based on Vedantic statement
that it is neither saadhyam (goal) or sadhanam (means) - saadhya saadhana
vilakshaNam brahma. Sir, if Brahman is neither saadhanam or saadhyam and if
Vedanta says Brahman still exists, it is very clear that Brahman is the
saadhaka only i.e the one who is the seeker of saadhyam by saadhanam. If one
still claims that Brahman is non-existent he is
only denying himself or it is a self-denial, and by that very self-denial
one denies that very denial itself, or in other words one is proving
existence of oneself, thus by Vedanta teaching existence of
   Brahman - aham
brahma asmi is the essential teaching of Vedanta.
neti neti iti vachanena sarva saadhana
saadhya nishhedhena saadhana
saadhya vyatiriktam siddharuupam saadhakam - tat tvam
asi iti bodhayati |

The next argument is if aham is the Brahman and aham is ever revealed and I
do not need shaastra to reveal the self which is self-evident.
aham
aham iti baalyaadishhu api sarvaasu avasthaasu jaagrat
- swapna - sushhuptishhu
sarvadaa prasiddhatvaat sarvadaa prathamaanatvaat -
it is self-evident as I am I am from childhood on, in all our experiences in
waking, dream and deep sleep in all states and was the prathama purushha as
the first person singular existent entity. If shaastra is revealing that
then it is useless as a
pramaaNa since aham is self-evident fact.

For that Shankara answers aham or I am is known as saamaanya ruupeNa and not
as visheshha ruupeNa - as sat and chit but not as aananda - for that
Shankara says one has to read Ch. III where adhyaasa bhaashyam is
discussed. -

yadyapi aatma prasiddhaH , parantu adhyasta jiivaatma
ruupeNa eva
prasiddhaH na tu paramaatma ruupeNa . aha~Nkaara
ruupeNa prasiddhaH na tu saakshi
ruupeNa.
tvam pada vaachyaartha ruupeNa prasiddhaH na tu
lakshyaartha ruupeNa. -

Essentially, although self is self-evident, it is recognized only as a jiiva
or limited entity not as an all pervading entity, recognized as ego entity
but not as witnessing consciousness, recognized as conscious entities as I
and you but not as all pervading consciousness.

Hence shaastra has to reveal aatmaa as Brahman. Hence Vedanta is required as
pramaaNa. Hence brahma asti and that brahman is aham. This knowledge is
sufficient since it gives me the purushhaartha , the moksha . The knowledge
that
aham brahma asmi is useful since it negates my jiivatvam or abrahmatvam
status.
This argument is presented in simple Sanskrit as -

yathaa rajju sarpa
j~naanena rajju
adhyasta sarpa bhaavasya niv^ittiH bhavati , evam
aatmanaH brahmatva
j~naanena aatmani adhyastasya jiiva bhaavasya
nivR^ittiH bhavati | jiiva
bhaava nivR^ittiH eva moksha ruupa parama
purushaarthaH - katham
taadR^isha brahmaNaH nishhprayojanatvam swapne api
sha~Nkitum shakyate!

How can anyone doubt even in a dream that Brahman is useless when brahma
j~naanam gives the greatest purushhaartha called moksha itself. That is the
ultimate goal of human life itself. Hence brahman asti - aatmaruupeNa asti .
Vedanta is
required to give not saamanya j~naanam but visheshha j~naanam. Shankara
says for details refer to Ch. III- adhyaasa bhaashya.

One more argument against puurvamiimaa.nsaka. They argue: In Veda-s
karmakaanDa is of primary importance as swataH pramaaNa and Vedanta has
no independent validity but gets secondary importance as pramaaNa that too
only by hooking itself to karmakaanDa or upaasanaa. Shankara now provides an
offensive argument. Shankara says in fact it is the other way around. That
is karmakaanDam is apramaanam, j~naanakaanDam alone is pramaaNam. If
karmakaanDa gets validity it is only because of its association with
j~naanakaanDam. How is this proved?

You have to wait for the next post!
for personal study.

***Copyright Protection - These notes are copyright
protected.

***
-- K. Sadananda
Code 6323