A dharmic question! (fwd)

ravi chandrasekhara vadhula at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 14 13:29:04 CST 2001

Dear Jaldhar,

Do the Shastras also accept anuloma vivaha where the
Kshatriya (or Vaisya) wife of a Brahmin male, to be
the primary and only wife, as long as she is too from
a Dvija (kshatriya or vaisya)family ? It is my
understanding the progeny are Brahmins in the case of
Brahmin male marrying a Kshatriya female.  Richika, a
Brahmin, married Viswamitra's sister a Kshatriya and
their son Jamadagni was a Brahmin who married a
Suryavamshi Kshatriya princess Renuka and they had 4
sons, including Bhagawan Parashurama.  It is my
understanding that a Brahmin male with Sudras,
Panchamas (popularly known as Harijans), Tribals,
mlechas (foreigners) isnt approved of and progeny are
not Brahmins.  Pratiloma vivahas (female is higher
caste than the male) in general are not approved, some
consider a sin, and the progeny are considered sudra
or lower.

Thanks for your upcoming response.

Pranam, Ravi Chandrasekhara MD

http://personals.yahoo.com