Nature of Reality

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Oct 5 12:25:00 CDT 2001

>namaH sarvebhyaH,
>        What Shrinivas said makes sense. Consciousness
>is something that illuminates the mind and is beyond
>it. Since my body is external to me (and my mind too)
>and the brain is in our body, it is right to say the
>brain or the concept of the brain is in the mind
>rather than the other way round.
>        Or, if you look at the kosha theory used in
>the upanishads, the brain being a physical organ is in
>the annamaya kosha. But the mind is subtler than the
>body or the prANa and hence it is in the separate
>manomaya kosha.
>        I hope this clarifies things.
>Regards,
>Raghavendra.

Namaste Raghavendra,

You said it right. I indeed was basing my understanding
on the kosha theory. However instead of defining several
planes of existence, I had bundled up the higher planes of
existence into just one plane that is the mental plane.
The annamaya kosha is equivalent to the physical plane.

Thanks for this clarification. Just in case you know which
upanishad refers to it, it would be helpful. I remember
reading about it in Vivekachudamani.

Best regards
Shrinivas