The "I", the soul, change and salvation

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 14 06:14:22 CDT 2001

"One thing to be noted is that, of the three states it is only during the
waking state that we've the will/control over our being. The state of dream
is beyond our control where the mind creates its own world based on prior
experiences in the waking state."

Who is this 'we' you are talking about? It is from the waker's point of
view. As far as the dream character is concerned , during the dream he
enjoys as much freedom in dream world as waker in the waking world.  So,
waker does not have any freedom in dream world and dreamer does not have any
freedom in waking world. This is obvious. How can it be otherwise when we
are discussing two different time and space? What interaction can we expect
between two entities belonging to two different time and space?

>From ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG Mon Oct 15 07:11:37 2001
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 07:11:37 -0400
To: List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
        <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>
From: "K. Sadananda" <sada at ANVIL.NRL.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Re: Varna and one more

Ravi - thanks for the post relating to Saint ThiruvaLLuvar statement
of what constitutes Brahman - that is the best definition I have
heard and is universal.

But I am not sure about your statement that varNa is not a caste.
Traditionally VarNa in the chaturvarNyam .. sloka has been
interpreted on the basis if four castes.  VarNa is used both in terms
of caste and/or color.  VarNaashrama dharma is used to designate
dharma for the four castes. The basis of human classification is
universal based on the proportions of satva rajas and tamo guNa-s.
The 18th chapter of B.G. has an extended discussion  related to GuNa
and karma-s.  Brahman is one who has predominately satvic GuNa.
Natually he follows the Dharma as defined by Saint ThiruvaLLuvar.  On
the other hand - jaati is used traditionally for caste.  I know
'kula' is used - but never heard the use of jaati for caste.
Shankara uses in VivekachuuDaamani - jaati neeti kula gotra duuragam

Relation of caste to birth rather than guNa - But am not sure it is
shruti based.  If it is so I would like to hear.  It is possible that
one can gravitate to a particular yoni based on ones predominant
guNa-s.   But then it  becomes a secondary cause.

Anyway this is my understanding -

Hari Om!
Sadananda

--