Sivaachaaryas

ravi chandrasekhara vadhula at YAHOO.COM
Mon Oct 29 22:21:59 CST 2001

Namaskar to all:

Yesterday on a flight from Houston to Dallas, I met
Shri Manica Sundari Bhattar, one of the purohits at
the Meenakshi Temple of Houston. He is a Sivacharya.
He also described the their creation of Shiva.
Sivacharyas are Brahmins and have their gotras and
pravaras are like other Brahmins in India. It is
interesting to note that Chitpavan Konkanastha
Brahmins of Brahmins of Maharashtra claim they were
created by Parashurama and similar gotras as other
Brahmins.  What does this mean ?, is it perhaps Shiva
and Parashurama requested the Brahmin rishis belonging
to the gotras to take birth among "these created
Brahmins " Many western scholars would say these are
non-Brahmins imitating gotras of Brahmins, which
doesnt appear to have truth behind it.

It also appears in south India there are functional
differences among Brahmins such as: vaidika, laukika,
and temple priests.  Most Iyers are vaidika Brahmins
and do not work as temple priests except Dikshitars
subgroup of Chidambaram and the Gurrukal subgroup.  In
fact many Iyers do not conduct weddings in temples and
the purohits performing their weddings are not temple
priests but rather vaidika Brahmins (often belonging
to within the same subgroup of the marital party,
possibly even a relative.  Does such functional
difference occurs among other Brahmins in India, e.g.,
Gujarat, Bengal, Punjab, Kashmir, Maharashtra, and
North India ?

Pranam, Ravi Chandraaekhara MD