Translation Series - Gita Bhashya - Introduction 1/3

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Fri Aug 2 10:06:52 CDT 2002

Thanks for the reference for (2).

Regarding (1) - this sometimes makes me wonder.  Let us say:  I work with a
view to earn money and take care of my family.  I am ambitious to progress
in my career.  At the same time I read giitaa pray to God to relieve myself
from limitations.

What is the above called?  I feel it is partly pravR^itti and partly
nivR^itti.  Do the shaastras call such a person confused?  A little while
ago Sri Vidyasankar said that there is a bridge between the two.  The below
seems to suggest that once I take up nivR^itti marga, I have to give up my
desires or to put it differently - till I give up my desires I am not yet in
nivR^itti marga.  I am trying to keep the context of Sri Jaladhar's posting
on iishaavaasya - something is not clicking within !!

That is saddening because even though I have love for God, I still have
worldly desires.  Does that mean I have not yet taken the path of
spirituality. May be I am asking too many questions too soon.  Perhaps these
would be covered later in giitaa.

Regards,
SVS

PS:  I would rather know the truth about where I am (as per shaastras) even
if it is not flattering.