Keeping Shikha [was Re: Sannyasins & cutting of the hair?]

Vaidya Sundaram vaidya_sundaram at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Aug 13 09:52:26 CDT 2002

Namaskaram.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM>
> > Can someone explain the significance of (male)brahmans wearing the
> > ear-studs (kadukkaNN as specified in tamil) ? Prasad
> >

> karNavedha as it is called in Sanskrit is one of the samskaras.  I don't
> think it is restricted to Brahmans though.

As far as I know, it is a samskara, but only after a certain extended period
of study of the vedas. Not every one can right fully wear a kadukkaNN. If I
remeber right, our family Dikshidhar has mentioned that a "kadukkaNN isHti"
has to be done before one can start wearing it ...

bhava shankara desikame sharaNam
Vaidya.