need some information

ken knight hilken_98 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 15 02:15:29 CDT 2002

--- "Rev. Varghese Mathew" <mathew49 at BGL.VSNL.NET.IN>
wrote:
>  i would like to know if there is any similatity
> between the non-dualistic
> experience in adviata and the hesychasm i.e the
> jesus prayer of the eastern
> churches.

Dear John,
Firstly in relation to the 'hesychast', you will find
a closer understanding of advaita in the Conferences
of St. John of the Cross.  The Jesus Prayer to which
you refer contains words that can have no relevance in
advaita.'......I am a sinner'.  While the repetition
of the prayer is Japa, it is first necessary for the
aspirant to throw away the dogmatic understanding of
'I am a sinner' that the bureaucrats in the Church
have imposed upon those it should care for.
'I am the way, the truth and the life, no one can come
to the Father except by Me.'
There is no route to 'I and my Father are One' by the
dualist repetition of 'I am a sinner'.
We need to look at the meaning of sin but that is
another story.
Through Japa, through an understanding of the four
levels of Speech, it is possible to transcend the
cultural interpretation of words that are 'on the
tongue', vaikhari.  This is also another story.
You will be able to find good material in St John of
the Cross, as I say above, but your own experience
will be your teacher. Use the Jesus Prayer, see what
happens, As the usual understanding of the words
arises in the mind with all the past associations, let
them pass, let them fall away and connect with the
Light which is the 'true Light that lighteth every man
that cometh into the world.' That is the purusha.

Happy studying

Ken Knight