Gayatri - Info

Ravi miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 15 13:50:45 CDT 2002

http://www.ambaa.org/stotrams/gayatri_tr.htm

I posted the mantras for gAyatri shaapa vimochanam to ambaa-L sometime
(probably an year) back.  It is found in  devii bhaagavatam.  The
english translation I have does not have details of the incidents behind
these curses and merely makes a mention of it. But according to the san
antonio temple priest, it is there in the original text and he has also
written a detailed article on it in kaNNada, which he mentioned he will
explain when I go there. (But I did not find time to do that).

According to the same priest, you need not say these mantras every time you
do japa. But the book I have recommends it though.

4th Pada of gayatri comes in atharva veda and it requires a special
initiation. It is not so much classified these days (like many other
mantras) -- I have seen this in more than one book.

Hope this information helps.