Songs of Ramprasad

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 27 23:02:29 CST 2002

Dear Friends,

The following song of Ramprasad portrays the helpless anguish of a sadhak
while he embarks on the road "as sharp as a rajors edge".

O Mother, how long will you make me go about
Like the bull with blinkers on
Round and round the oil press?
Tying me down to the trunk of this world
You are incessantly making me go round and round.

Due to what offence, may I ask,
Have you made me a slave to the six oil-men?
Births countless of beasts and birds and so forth
   I have seen through,

Yet the cessation of this suffering is not in sight.
The word "Mother" is soaked in affection,
The way of the world is that
When the child weeps the Mother takes it upon her lap.

Am I outside the world?
Countless sinners got delivered
By just chanting "Durga, Durga, Durga"
O Mother for just once, remove the blinkers
                               from my eyes
So that I may behold Your fearless feet.
Wicked sons there are, ever so many,
                  But never a wicked Mother
(Keep Prasad, your wicked son, bent at your feet)
O Mother, Ramprasad hopes to stay at Your feet
                                      in the end.

This song not only brings out the anguish of a devotee but also brings into
focus the tremendous advantages of seeking the favours of the Divine
Mother. A Mother is bound to take a son into her lap whenever he cries in
earnest for her. Again the priceless gem " Wicked sons are many, but never
a wicked mother".

I am tempted to cite an example in the life of the Divine Mother incarnate,
Sarada Devi, consort of Sri Ramakrishna. Sri Ramakrishna could never
partake of any food served by a person with serious flaws in his/her
character. One day as Sri Sarada Devi was carrying the plate of rice to Sri
Ramakrishna's room, a lady devotee begged of her to allow her the
privillege of carrying the plate saying, "Mother please let me carry the
food to the Master". Sri Sarada Devi obliged. When the food was served Sri
Ramakrishna was unable to eat and cried out in anguish. He berated the Holy
Mother for having allowed this lady to bring food to him. Mother Sarada
replied (and mind you she was an extremely obidient person), "What could I
do, she addressed me as Mother, how could I refuse?". Sri Ramakrishna was
highly pleased at this reply and saw in this statement the flowering of the
Mother power of the universe. He then partook of the food, but not without
difficulty.

Regards
Jagannath