The cost of knowledge

Anand Hudli anandhudli at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 10 03:47:44 CST 2002

Having just completed a course on prANAyAma and meditation, I was struck
by a comment that the teacher made: "I could have taught all this free of
cost. But if I did, then no one would take it seriously."

Is it not usually the case that we tend to ignore things that are
given out free of cost but make some commitment to things that require
us to pay? Yet we criticize those institutions that sell books on
advaita, etc. We say they are trying make a profit.

Imagine what would happen if all of Shankara's works were delivered
to your doorstep at no cost. Would you make an attempt to read them?

Or, imagine you were paying for subscription to a list such as this
one? Would you not then take the time to read each or most messages
and respond whenever necessary?

It is ironical. The best things in life are free. Yet, when they
are presented to us free of cost, we do not value them.

Anand