Advaita : Some Basic Explanations - 3

hbdave hbd at DDIT.ERNET.IN
Thu Feb 21 00:47:28 CST 2002

Shrinivas Gadkari wrote:

> >Many persons, who have long time experience of meditation, develop a
> special
> >sense sensitive enough so that they are aware of their own sleeping state!
> >

> Namaste Shri Himanshu,
>
> This then is what Shri Krishna refers to in 2.69 Gita:
> "That which is night for beings, in it a samayami is awake"

Yes, the shloka could be interpreted like that.
But, though I would be happy to say yes and claim support from Shri Krishna
himself,
traditionally meaning of that shloka from Geeta is given differently.

If you are interested, I can discuss the two implied meanings of the shloka in
a separate
mail. They depend upon interpretation of the words "night" ( nishaa, raatri)
and
"awake " (jagarti). The meanings are quite deep.

> Shri Sai Baba of Shirdi used to say something similar (in the
> episode related to sleeping on a narrow wooden plank).

I am happy to know that.

> Is this what is called yoga-nidra ?

Again, meaning of the technical word "yoga-nidraa" is slightly different. Just
as
in  deep sleep you are without duality, "a mass of consciousness" as Mandukya
says, without wants, worries, etc.  in Nirvikalpa Samadhi also you are in
similar non-dual state. Then why not call it nidraa? It is called yoganidraa
because there is a big difference - in N. Samadhi you are "aware" of BEING.
You ARE there.
Actually what happes to  a long time meditator is this : he/she develops a
continuous background awareness which is totally detached - kind of reflection

of the Turiya. This awareness forms a significant part of his/her being, just
as
for a person with, say, a joint pain the pain becomes a continuous background
in his being. This awareness remains even in the sleep!

Actually, for a Yogi both the meanings will merge into one, is not it?

> Thanks.
>
> Best regards
> Shrinivas

-- Himanshu