Relationship of Advaita Vedanta to other religions

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 11 09:47:23 CDT 2002

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at BRAINCELLS.COM> wrote:

[..]

> One thing that should be emphasized about
> Shankaracharya is he does very
> much care about religious externals as well as
> internals.  The Mar Thoma
> Christian sect was established in Kerela by an early
> date.  If we accept
> 788-820 as dates for Shankaracharyas' life, it is
> quite conceivable that
> he knew of Christians as well as Jews (also
> well-established by that time)
> and perhaps Muslims.  Yet there is no mention of
> them anywhere in his
> works.  Shankaracharya viws himself as simply being
> the latest in a line
> of interpreters of the Vedic religion.  He allows a
> measure of diversity
> in its' forms but where non-Vedic religions are
> mentioned (Buddhism,
> Jainism and even "Hindu" sects such as Bhagavatas,
> Samkhya/Yoga etc.) it
> is in a negative way.  He may allow some utility to
> the atleast partially
> astika ones and some have argued that
> Gaudapadacharya is somewhat
> sympathatic to Buddhism but all in all the view of
> the Advaita acharyas is
> that all these religions are inferior to the Vedic
> religion which is best
> interpreted by Advaita Vedanta.

There was a discussion sometime ago in this list,
around the first week of April, 2000, about Ramana
Maharshi's interpretation of certain Biblical verses.

As I've begun reading "Talks" again, I notice that RM
is more than sympathetic towards the Bible. In fact,
he freely quotes it as scripture, treating it on par
with the Upanishads. Here's an extract that you might
find interesting:

" 'I am' is the name of God. Of all the definitions of
God, none is indeed so well put as the Biblical
statement 'I am that I am' in Exodus (Chapter 3).
There are other statements, such as Brahmivaham, Aham
Brahmasmi, and Soham. But none is so direct as the
name Jehovah which means 'I am'. "

When one of RM's Christian devotees had to leave
Ramanasramam because his church had warned him that he
would not be accepted any more into the Christian
fold, RM said that the devotee was already realizing
the essence of Christianity by being at Ramanasramam.

Later, he said that Christ-consciousness was the same
as Self-realization, and that it required a mature
mind to grasp the real meaning of Christianity.

[..]

-Kartik

http://sbc.yahoo.com