Are GODs just symbolic ???

Rajesh Sarin Rajesh_Sarin at RIL.COM
Thu Jul 18 06:34:12 CDT 2002

Namaskar !

"Have any of you heard similar ideas from Swami Dayananda"

I am sending a few ideas gathered from reading one of the
Books "SATYAARTHA PRAKASH" by Swami Dayanand Saraswati.

What I understood (maybe I am wrong !), from the Book, is written
below. I MAY BE TOTALLY WRONG IN UNDERSTANDING THE CONCEPT, PLEASE
CORRECT ME,IF SO.

MY UNDERSTANDING FROM THE BOOK :

As per Vedic Religion, there are no God Figures as Vishnu,
Shiva, Rama, Krishna, Devi Durga, etc. and also no place for
IDOL WORSHIP. The Names of VISHNU, RAM, SHIVA, DURGA, etc, are
the names given to qualities of the Omni-present God, as described
in the Vedic literature. Swamiji has also described the meanings of
each of the words VISHNU, RUDRA, RAMA, SHIVA, etc at the very
begining of the book.

But later on, after the advent of Jainism & Buddhism and increase of its
popularity, the Vedic Culture, who has no God -> IDOL WORSHIP,
got relatively less popularity. Meanwhile, Buddhism & Jainism were known
for its Elaborate Temples, Well Decorated God figures, Big Idols
of their Gods.

Hence, Hinduism also Created God Figures from great People known
and from Great Epics viz. Mahabharata, Ramayana, Gita, etc, which
became the source for Creation of GOD IDOLS. Hence, thereafter Idol Worship
AND Godly Attributes were given to GREAT ONES like RAMA, KRISHNA and Big
Temples were created for Worship. Also PURANAS were created for these GODs
!

Hence, myth, epics, and mythology created most of the Gods we know of today
!

I am attaching a file - zipped form and original form, which gives
relative dates for the Origin of various Religions AND Religious Books.
This also says, that the PURANAS were created later to the Advent of
Buddhism and Jainism.

(See attached file: Sacred Texts Timeline.htm)(See attached file: Sacred
Texts Timeline.zip)

Hope, this finds place in your post.

thanks and regards - Sarin Rajesh

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram <srikrishna_ghadiyaram at YAHOO.COM>
@LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG> on 16-07-2002 10:56:14

Please respond to List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
       <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>

Sent by:    List for advaita vedanta as taught by Shri Shankara
       <ADVAITA-L at LISTS.ADVAITA-VEDANTA.ORG>

Hari Om !!

I was listening to some lectures of Swami Tattvavidananda of Arsha Vidya
Gurukulam. While it helped me to understand oneness behind all GOD forms,
it also generated some doubts.

The Swami repeatedly said, "there are only two type of accounts, one
Historical and the other Symbolic. There is no mythological account." On
several occassions, the talks conveyed that even the story of Bali,
Prahlada, and churning of milk ocean etc. is only symbolic. However, the
swami classifies Rama and Krishna as Historic.

I head similar talks/words from Swami Chinmayananda. Have any of you heard
similar ideas from Swami Dayananda.

Personally, I am not happy when I hear all such puranic stories as
symbolic, and also give just symbolic status to Vishnu, Siva, Brahma, Devi
etc. This can be a hindrance to Bhakti.

However, I read very encouraging and positive enforcing talks of HH Swami
Chandrasekhara Saraswati, describing these stories are real, though we can
not believe, etc.

What is the accepted Advaitic View on this subject. Please give me