[Fwd: Sabda - Bhartrihari]

Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [IT] sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at CITIGROUP.COM
Thu Jul 18 09:15:34 CDT 2002

1. y r l v are semi-vowels.  Dipthongs are e, ai, o, au. As per
"ikoyaNachi", y r l v serve as a replacement vowels for i, u, R^i, L^i.
Hence the name semi-vowels (This is my understanding.  I will go home and
refer to my book).

2. As per paaNini, visarga arises out of "s" and not the other way round.
In the example kaH + chana, the visarga of kaH is not formed at all.  It is
really kas + chana and since s is followed by ch, it becomes kaSchana.
Visarga is the default for "s" ending if no other rule kicks in as in the
case of avasaana.

Example:
Step 0: raamaH is really raamas to start with. (as au jas, am auT Shas, aam
bhyam bhis...??? something like that)
Step 1: raamas becomes raamar (sasajuSho ruH - paaNini 8.3.?)
if (there is a letter following raamar) then
    raamar transforms to appropriate ending (all in paaNini 8.3.*)
else
    raamar transforms to raamaH
endif

Also akshara samaamnaaya can tell us the locus of various sounds within in
the vocal apparatus.

SVS

PS: That is why I regret not having learnt Sanskrit when young.  I am never
sure of grammar always doubtful -:)