"Jagat satya!"

Jagannath Chatterjee jagchat01 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jul 23 07:25:53 CDT 2002

Respected Vyasji,

Thank you again for patiently replying to my queries.

However, being a die hard devotee of Swami
Vivekananda, I wish to clarify.

1. Swamiji was never apologetic in his defence of
Hinduism. Rather he blasted Christianity for its
'Churchianism'. His anguish was that the Christians
(read Americans) did not take to the path of
renunciation as advocated by Christ.

2. I would not refer to Swamiji's lectures as an
introduction to vedanta. He was a reformer and his
attempt was to open new avenues (serving Nara Narayana
for example) and broaden the ambit of the vedanta
philosophy by including other approaches ( dvaita,
vishistadvaita, dvaitadvaita ) as well.

His attempt for social service (he would not call it
that!) must be seen in the context of his pilgrimage
all over India and seeing/feeling the misery of the
masses which led him to declare that "religion is not
for empty stomachs".

Yours sincerely

Jagannath.