Bhakti yoga

Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM Venkatraman.Chandrasekaran at NOKIA.COM
Wed Jun 5 15:22:00 CDT 2002

Sri Sankara defines Bhakti in Vivekachudamani in one sloka thus:

sva svarUpa anusandhaanam bhaktirityabhidhIyatE ||
                                (sloka. 31/32, I think)

By this is meant, according to His Holiness Sri Chandrasekhara
Bharathi of Sringeri, "Bhakti is a continuous contemplation
of one's real nature". In the line preceding this, Sri Sankara
points out that "this bhakti" is the foremost amoung the
saadhanaas for attaining mOkshaa.

In the sloka that follows, Sri Sankara says "some other people
tell that bhakti is contemplation on one's inner aatman which
is paramaatman" as,

sva aatma tatva anusandhaanam bhakti iti apare jaguh ||

Can someone please explain these Vivekachudamani lines in
the light of how Sri Sankara has dealt with Bhakti in his
numerous hymns and soulful prayers.

I will search for Sri Ravishankar's post in this regard as
somebody suggested.

Thanks,
chandrasekaran.