lalitaa sahasranAma: uttara piiThikaa - Some verses to consider (81 - 84)

Ravisankar S. Mayavaram miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM
Thu May 9 08:17:01 CDT 2002

--- "Ravisankar S. Mayavaram" <miinalochanii at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> verse 81
>
> iti te kathitam stotram rahasyam kumbhasambhava |
> naa vidyaa vedino bruuyaat naa bhaktaaya kadaachana ||

There are few errors in the way above is written. Second line should
read as

naavidyaavedine bruuyannaabhaktaaya kadaachana ||

Since I am basing my translation what is given in ananthakrishna
shaastry's I do not want get into details. Simply because, I know very
little sanskrit and I will have to spend (typically) a lot of time on
this. Yet, my take on the second line is

vidyaa avedinaH na bruuyaat, abhaktaaya na bruuyaat.

Please do correct. Despite my intention of not getting  into such
details, I ended up thinking about this for half an hour, early in the
morning.

> Thus the stotram told to you, O agastya is a secret. It should not be
> told at any time, to one who does not know Srividya and one is who is
> not a bhakta.
>
> Notes:
>
> 1. agastya is known as kumbha-sambhava or pot-born (see message 241)
>
> 2. Material available in puraaNa is open to all. Then how to regard
> the
> word "rahasyam" that is secret? Is is artha-vAda? That is
> result-oriented-approach. When you say something is a secret, people
> will take it seriously. Or it means, not to make it public more than
> what it is. That is not to publish translations, release audio
> cassettes, make it availabe easily to all. In the past, all these
> things were learned only from a guru. Only when printing press (later
> www) became common place thing, people started learning things on
> their
> own.
>

> 3. What does "one who knows Srividya" mean? Does it mean one who is
> initated to it or a mere sAmanya knowledge. trishati defines what it
> considers as knowing Srividya, is it something like that. Safest
> translation is one who is initiated to SriVidya and one who
> understands
> it.
>
> 4. On whom is the restriction placed? On the teacher/guru. It is
> his/her responsibility who he/she should allow to learn and chant.
> This
> will become even more clear later.
> [to be contd]

=====
ambaaL daasan

Ravi

sharaNAgata raxakI nivEyani sadA ninnu nammiti mInAxI

http://www.ambaa.org/  http://www.advaita-vedanta.org