Etymology of a few words

Shrinivas Gadkari sgadkari2001 at YAHOO.COM
Fri May 17 17:41:12 CDT 2002

On Fri, 3 May 2002 18:02:07 -0400, Vidyasankar <vsundaresan at HOTMAIL.COM>
>I would suggest the following URL, for help with Sanskrit language
>questions.
>
>http://www.alkhemy.com/sanskrit/dict
>
>Or else, go directly to
>
>http://aa2411s.aa.tufs.ac.jp/~tjun/sktdic - the Apte dictionary
>http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/indologie/tamil/mwd_search.html - the
>Monier-Williams dictionary
>
>Vidyasankar

Namaste Vidyasankar,

Actually I was hoping to get more insight than just the
meaning of words hence felt this list is a good place to
post such questions.

I guess, I asked for too many words. Here I will again
initiate a similar exercise with just one word.

Take the Shri: Sh + r + I
Shri generally means anything that gladdens the heart.

Now what does Sh-kAra represent and why ?
What does r-kAra represent and why ?
What does I-kAara represent and why ?

I mean there must be something very basic about sounds
here.

Comments from list members are invited.

Regards
Shrinivas Gadkari