Any query...(Food and eating habits)

santosh mahapatra santosh_mahapatra at YAHOO.COM
Sun May 19 07:13:10 CDT 2002

Dear All,
I am not a qualified person to opine on the subject of
role of food and eating habits in spiritual practice.
However, I feel appropriate to mention the following
about the importance of food and eating habits in
Sadhana. Sri Aurobindo (Or Vivekananda, I don't
remember exactly who) has commented on it drawing the
example of a cow.

According to him a cow does not and can not eat meat
or such food because its body rejects them. So the
message is if holy thougts and (mental)practice become
one's nature then tamasic food will be automatically
rejected by the person's phsiological system. So one
must first emphasize on such thoughts and practices.
Infact,  Shri Aurobindo, one of the seers of recent
past had commented about his exprience of Sadhana by
saying that he observed a definite natural
tendency/urge to abstain from tamasic food as he
progressed spiritually (in yogic practice) although he
himself never made a precondition of not eating
fish/meat in the initial days of Sadhana.

Hopefully, these observations of some of the
accomplished seers would be of some use to the list
members.

Regards,

Santosh

--- Swarna Venkateswara Swamy