Gayatri Mantra and Agarwals

ravi chandrasekhara vadhula at YAHOO.COM
Tue May 28 22:39:35 CDT 2002

Dear Vishal,

Judging by your last name, you belong to the Agarwal
jati.  Agarwals were suryavamsha Kshatriyas who became
Vaisyas shortly after the beginning of Kali yuga, upon
request of Goddess Lakshmi to Maharaja Agarsen.  Still
they are Dvijas and are allowed to undergo Upanayana
and recite Gayatri.  So you say you are a Sudra, but
how ? Either you committed an act that required
ex-communication, your forefathers from 3-4
generations before stopped upanayana hence you would
be a Vaisya-bandhu - perhaps which there would be a
prayaschita, or you married a Sudra/non-Hindu/avarna
Hindu. If you are involved in a pratiloma vivaha
(married a girl of a higher caste)-I dont know what
your varna status would be. I have heard that
statement about pouring molten lead in Sudras' ears if
they hear the vedas, but is this real? During yagnas
people of all varnas attended also temples, where
vedas are chanted, but there is no "punishment" meted
as such to Sudras, perhaps other list members can shed
some light on this.  Besides sudras have rights and
obligations also but different than Dvijas (from Hindu
Dharma at www.kamakoti.org)

Pranam, Ravi Chandrasekhara MD
--- Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian <balasr at YAHOO.COM>

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com