Soma in Vedas

Aniruddhan ani at EE.WASHINGTON.EDU
Fri Sep 6 08:41:38 CDT 2002

namaste,

>I thought Turiya referred to a state of consciousness beyond but subsuming
>waking, dreaming and deep sleep. Have I got that wrong? (very likely)

Both Sri Jagannath and yourself are correct. Turiya is the same as
Atman/Brahman, and is the Fourth State, beyond waking, dreaming and
deep-sleep states (actually, it is also the common thread running through
these three states). It is also beyond the three gunas (tamas, rajas and
sattva).

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam

Aniruddhan