Lakshmi Narayana Temple Pratishta

vidya jayaram vidyajayaram at YAHOO.COM
Sun Sep 8 23:17:28 CDT 2002

Lakshmi Srinivas wrote

>>Perhaps Ms Vidya will comment on what she means by 'inside Kamakshi Amman Temple'. Does she mean that Kamakshi Amman was the resident deity at this premises at all times? Can she comment on the history of this deity at this temple?

By inside the kamakshi temple is meant within the precincts of the temple [one of the inner prakaras in this case ].Tracing the origins of many temples like kanchi/shringeri would definitely lead us to Bauddha/Jaina / Kapalika/kalamukha roots!! Hence my query is limited to current practice [ ie in the last few centuries]

>>Secondly, perhaps Ms Vidya will talk of the agama followed in the Kamakshi Amman temple.
I would like to know this too.Do the kanchi and shringeri temples follow the kAmikAgama and what exactly is meant by vaidika rituals.

However I remember reading this someplace.[I am unable to reproduce the exact reference].In some of the agamic texts/(agama or a paddhati) it  is explicitly stated that for the pratishta/other details of a Vishnu idol as "For further details refer the pancharatra"

Vidya