Dasa Avatars

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 28 12:25:08 CDT 2003

Namaskaaram,

I thought the Srimad Bhagavatam considers Krishna as the eighth avatar.
Also, I dont remember the Mahabharatha saying that Balarama is an
incarnation of Vishnu.

There is one more problem with this view point. Every incarnation has a
purpose. What is the purpose of Balarama's incarnation?

In the BG Krishna says, that whenever dharma is at risk and adharma is on
the rise, he would be taking an incarnation. Does Balarama fit into this,
given his soft corner for the Kauravas? As another member mentioned earlier,
it is only because of Krishna, that Balarama did not fight on the side of
the Kauravas.

Also, dual incarnations at the same place and at the same time(unlike Rama
and Parashurama who met only once) would be considered redundant.

As I mentioned earlier, there is also a tradition of considering Balarama as
an avatar of Adisesha. He is the counterpart of Lakshmana.

Given all this, any claim of avatarhood for Balarama becomes questionable.

Best Regards
Kalyan