[Advaita-l] Re: Vivekachudamani vs Bhashyas

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 12:38:02 CDT 2003

>... prabhuji emphasis
>here on karmakanda.  Not veda as a whole including jnAna pradhAna
>upanishads prabhuji.  This shankara clarifies in brahma sUtra bhAshya by
>saying non existence of shruti can be accepted only in the state of
>enlightenment.  So, vedAs or no vEdas only after the dawn of knowledge is
>it not prabhuji??  kindly clarify.

As far as the quoted verses of VC are concerned, the question is not about
the existence or otherwise of Sruti in the state of enlightenment. Rather,
it is purely functional, being about the use of scripture for jnAnI vs.
ajnAnI.

Note that the gItA verses in chapter 2 themselves do not specify karmakANDa
vs. jnAnakANDa. Likewise, the VC verses that apparently say that the vedas
are useless even for the ignorant one may also refer to the karmakANDa only.
After all, these VC verses say that brahmajnAna is the only medicine for
those suffering from ignorance and it is a fundamental given that this is
the upanishadic jnAna as imparted by the guru.

Whether or not the author of VC is Sankara is a different question. I, for
one, do not think that this can be decided by deducing the attitude of the
text towards scripture.

Vidyasankar