[Advaita-l] Bhakti, Bhagavata Purana & Sankara

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 1 23:11:15 CDT 2003

i find Sri Aniruddhan's reasons to be nice and heart taking.  True,  i have heard from Great Scholars that the Acharya used it only in the sense of

Paramatman = Parabrahman = Narayana

Thus, Narayana is in the Vedic sense of Brahman and not the puranic shanka chakra Gada Nama dhari of the popular sense.

Thank you anirudhan.

Sankaran Aniruddhan <ani at ee.washington.edu> wrote:
namaste,

> my point is why the Bhashyakara Pada is silent in his
> Bhashyas throughout, about anyone other than Narayana.
> what is the meaning of this conspicious absense. thats
> all. nothing more than that.

Possible reason #1: Bhagavatpada may not be using words like
vishnu, narayana etc in their popular connotation (which
refers only to a particular form of god). He may be using
them considering their basic meaning. For example, Vishnu
means sarva-vyApi or all-pervading. So when He says Vishnu,
He is referring to the all-pervading Atman.

Possible reason #2: It is possible that Bhagavatpada's
ishta-devata was Vishnu, so He salutes Him in his bhashyas.

Or maybe, being Parameshwara's incarnation, He didn't want
to salute Himself! :-)

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam
Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

Thanks & Regards,
Venkat.