[Advaita-l] Purva Mimamsa Sutra Bhashya

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 19:55:52 CDT 2003

> > Could anyone of you clarify as to - is it necessary that one
> > should go through the Purva Mimamsa Sutra Bhashya of Bhagavan
> > Shabaracharya ( may be in the English Translation by Sri Ganganath
> > Jha) to have a better understanding of the Prasthana Treya Bhashya
> > ?!
> >
> >   of course, there are many things common like Pramana Lakshana
> > etc.  but, still, practically, have anyone who has studied them,
> > felt a better understanding of the latter, by reading the former
> > ?!!

I cannot claim to have read the mImAMsA sUtra bhAshya, but certainly,
learning about some key aspects of that school has helped me to better
understand the prasthAna trayI bhAshya-s. For example, when SankarAcArya
says that "AtmetyevopAsIta" is not an apUrva vidhi (initial injunction) but
may be accepted to be a niyama vidhi (restrictive injunction) - in both
brahmasUtra and bRhadAraNyaka bhAshyas. There are very technical issues
involved in the discussion, and the advaita vedAnta position cannot be
adequately understood without first understanding what the pUrva mImAMsA
objection is all about in the first place.

Vidyasankar