[Advaita-l] Interpreting "abhEda" shruti vAkyas

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Wed Jun 11 08:27:35 CDT 2003

Dear Bhaskar-jI,

>Based on this we have this mahAvAkya prabhuji *aham brahmAsmi*
>Hope it is clear atleast from the advaitic perspective.

Please don't use part of that sentence ever again,  use the full sentence
if  you ever want to quote it.
"brahma vA idamagra Aseet tadAtmAnamEva avEt 'aham brahmAsmi' iti"
The ever-present Brahman, before creation, thought to Itself as "aham
brahmAsmi".

What you are doing reminds me of "ashwatthAmO hatah kunjaraha"
Atleast poor DrONAchArya had an excuse that he could not hear
the last part of that sentence.

I would like to know what is the advaita excuse for ignoring the first
part of the above shruti-vAkya?