[Advaita-l] Advaita-l Digest, Vol 2, Issue 29

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Wed Jun 11 20:10:01 CDT 2003

namaste,

> But my
> problem in understanding his analogy is ; the dreamer got to be aware of
> such animal as lion in awakened non-dreaming state in order to get scared
> for virtual lion's roar in the dream. If I am not aware of an animal in
> reality , how can I wake up from such virtual animal in the dream ? So, in
> order to make sense of what Shrutis are conveying now, Shrutis  have to be
> *as real as* the awakened state, which is Brahmn. Any thoughts ?

Maybe the dreamer is frightened of lions in the waking
state because (s)he saw a ferocious lion in the dream
state. If we see similar objects in the dream and waking
state, can we say for sure which state is the real cause?

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam