[Advaita-l] neha nAnAsti kiMchana

Jay Nelamangala jay at r-c-i.com
Fri Jun 13 10:16:40 CDT 2003

Dear JayanArAyaNan,

> BR^ihadaaraNyaka upanishhad (BU) 4.4.19 and kaTha
> upanishhad (KU) 2.1.11. I see you're using the KU.

You are very correct.  BU also has "nEha nAnAsti kimchana"

Br Up uses "anudrashTavyam"  and KaTa uses "Aptavyam"
apart from this one word,   the two are identical.

See the context there,  for example 4.4.13

"yasyAnuvittaha pratibuddha AtmA asmin samdOhE gahanE
pravishTaha |  sa vishwakrit sa hi sarvasya kartA tasya lOkaha
sa u lOka Eva"

This goes in line with the sootra
"Om tannishTasya mOkshOpadEshAt Om"

The one who is indwelling in me (asmin samdOhE gahanE pravisTaha) - is the
Parabrahman the Creator of All.  One who understands Atman as (pratibuddha)
"sa vishwakrit sa hi sarvasya kartA - AtmA" what happens to him?
his station will become the station of the Creator.( tasya lOkaha sa u lOka
Eva)

This makes several things explicit:

1) The Parabrahman,  the Creator of All is not me.
2) The Parabrahman,  the Creator of All is in me.
3)  Reachinng Parabrahman means Reaching His station.