[Advaita-l] Re: The current advaita-dvaita debate

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:42:56 CDT 2003

On Fri 20 Jun 2003, guru prasad <ghunsenh at yahoo.com> wrote:

>As far as my awareness goes, no school was started after Dvaita was
>established, to
>refute Dvaita. if there were any dificulties, its only due to their own
>short-comings and
>not in the Philosophy itself.

To which, one could say that this was because they did not take the dvaita
school seriously enough to bother refuting it.

>Most of the neo-Vedantins like Chaintinya etc., were formed to fulfill the
>needs of the
>western world and their affulence.

Do you know the date of Caitanya? How did you decide that he addressed the
affluence of the western world?

>Correctness is based on debates. IF you look back into your own history,
>there are
>records, AppayaDikshit was defeated on a daily basis, VIdhyaRanya etc., all
>faced
>the challenges and they were all more well-versed, but finally they bow
>down to their
>opponents.

And you know this, how? We have accounts that say the opposite, e.g. that
vidyAraNya defeated akshobhyatIrtha. Get your historical dates correct
first, e.g. that of Caitanya. Once you do that, we can talk about veracity
of conflicting historical accounts later.

Vidyasankar