[Advaita-l] Yadhava Prakasha

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at rediffmail.com
Mon May 12 05:08:34 CDT 2003

Dear all,

  It is as i am told, difficult to identify Yadhava Prkasha as an
advaitin, rather some hold him as a one belonging to the School of
Bhedabheda - identity cum difference.

be it so....coming to the point

1.  His Meaning on Kapyasam, appearing in the Chandogya Upanishad,
has been commented by Bhagavan Sri Shankaracarya in the way as
shown.  Kapyasam according to the Acharya is a compound.  Kapi is
Monkey ( it is a Rudi - Meaning by identification and not
etimology)  Asam is etymologically derived as the Nates.
Thus Kapyasam means the Nates of a monkey.

The Acharya as a true all-knower, has rightly forecasted such an
objection like that from sri ramanuja and thus has made his remark
: the comparison is not directly between God's Eyes and the Nates
of a Monkey, but the God's Eyes are like a lotus, where, for the
redness of the Lotus, the Nates of a monkey is given as an
example. Thus there is no inferior Comparison  ( Hina Upamana)

Ramanuja is by no way original - see Brahma Vidya Abharanam
(Commentary on Brahma Sutra Bhashya of Sri Shankaracharya ;
published by Sanskrit Education Society, Madras)  in the Anta Tat
Dharma Adhikaranam ( The immediately next to the Anandamaya
Adhikarana) in the I Adhyaya, wherein, the Writer clearly shows
the School running in this line.  In fact, the Acharya might have
been aware of this school, but he did not approve it, as so took
the other school.

  That the Ramanuja's stand is not correct

  - grammatically - is well proved in the manual kapyasa koumudi
published in Sanskrit way back in the early 20th Century from
South Tamil Nadu.

  - by alankara and other niyamas also,is well shown in the
commentary Brahma Vidya Abaranam.

Also, see how the issue is captionised by Pranthiyangarai Sri
Subrahmanya Shastrigal in his footnotes to the Mahesh Reasearch
Institute Publication, Varanasi. (Chandogya Upanishad Bhasya
Edition)

Regards
venkat.

Mr. S. Venkata Subramanian