[Advaita-l] RE: Dasa Avatars(In response to Shri B. Shankar)

kalyan chakravarthy kalyan_kc at hotmail.com
Tue May 20 10:15:13 CDT 2003

Namaskaaram,

> > If Atman is deluded by ignorance then ignorance should be as real as
>Atman.
>
>And so it is. _As_long_as_one_believes_it_is.

Which means you are accepting that Atman being deluded is only subjective.
Since subjectivity is not the means for knowing brahman, you are inherently
accepting that Atman is undeluded.

>The whole point of Advaita
>Vedanta is to show that "conventional wisdom" concerning the nature of the
>world is false (mithya.)

That does not mean that brahman is deluded. Nor is meditation possible if it
is thought that brahman is deluded.

> > In any case saying that Atman is deluded is a highly unvedantic
>position.
>
>But it is very common sense position.  For a philosophy to be an effective
>pedagogical tool, it has to work at all levels of understanding.

shAstrayonittvAt. That should limit the use of our commonsense.

Best Regards
Kalyan