[Advaita-l] : ONLY ONE PLACE - AdhyArOpa-apavAda

Stig Lundgren slu at chello.se
Wed May 28 12:28:52 CDT 2003

Ooopps! I hit the "send" button to soon! In response to Jay
Nelamangala´s question, I forgot to add that according to the
Advaita tradition, the upanishads themselves make use of
adhyaropa apavada in order to succesively, step by step, getting
rid of the wrong conceptions about Brahman. (This process is
described in the quote from Brihad. Bh. 4.4.25). When all the
misconceptions are dispelled, the knowledge of Brahman is the
result.

But this also explains the possibility to gain harmony out of the
shastric teachings. For instance, sometimes Brahman is described
as creator, having will-power etc., while in other places all
attributes whatsoever is negated. At a first glance, this seems
to imply contraditions in the prasthana traya, but due to the
principle of adhyaropa apavada, it is possible to make a
harmonious whole out of prasthana traya. There are no
contradictions there.

So, adhyaropa apavada is a method to teach the nature of Brahman,
but also makes it possible to see the non-contradictory teachings
in the prasthana traya.

Warm regards
Stig Lundgren