[Advaita-l] RE: e-vEdAnta course

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 7 12:05:28 CST 2003

"Sundaram, Vaidya (MED)" <Vaidya.Sundaram at med.ge.com> wrote:

>  In my opinion, paying for the course is no different from going to the
>store and buying a book. Especially, when you can ask questions in return,
>and get answers, unlike in a book. The knowledge is priceless, accepted.
>That should not mean that it should not be structured or terms set for its
>access. It's human tendency to value something more only when you have to
>part with something else. Especially money. In olden days, one had to wait
>for the teacher to accept you as a valid disciple to ask the question. You
>can end up waiting 10 years to ask one question. None of us today are
>qualified (or even ready!) for that level of discipline.

While I do agree with the perspective of our list members who have raised
questions
about the efficacy of an e-course for which people pay a fixed amount, I
would like
to point out that running an organization involves expenses. In our
contemporary
times, I think it is not unjustified for an organization to ask for a fee
paid beforehand.
It also ensures that mostly only serious people enroll. Granted, there will
be the few
who think they can throw money at something and get all problems sorted out,
but
such people will not gain much from undergoing the course. Hopefully, those
who
enroll for an e-course will gain some perspective that will kindle their
interest.

Vidyasankar