[Advaita-l] Notes on sha.nkaras usage of vishhNu, iishvara, etc.

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian balasr at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 18 17:06:14 CDT 2004

Jaldhar's explanation was very good. Other than that,
it's quite common to have two deities joined together
in various vedic rituals. For example, we have varuNa
and suurya joined together in the suuryanamaskara
ritual performed with the aruNa-prashna.

In various places vishhNu is identified with the
sacrificial altar. So it's possible that the joint
invocation with agni is because of that.

BTW, vishhNo.h paramam padam has a simple explanation.
The paramam padam is the turiiya, which is beyond the
"lower" three - jaagrat, svapna and sushhupti.

Rama

http://titus.uni-frankfurt.de/texte/etcs/ind/aind/ved/rv/ab/ab001.htm