[Advaita-l] Meditation

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Aug 4 22:48:22 CDT 2004

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004, durga prasad wrote:

> I  am interested in doing meditation.
> Can you suggest me any book or other resource that tells me
> -- how to do meditation, practical steps

Atma vichara, the contemplation of the question "who am I?" is all the
meditation you need.

> -- what is that I am expected to achieve by doing meditation

The same as with any kind of Advaitic sadhana.  The point of Advaita
Vedanta is to realize the oneness of your own self with everything.  So
the only type of meditation which is relevant is the one which leads to
this goal.

> -- what is the ultimate goal of meditation

Jnana and jnana only.  The "inner peace" etc. touted by a lot of yoga
teachers is at best a useful side effect.