[Advaita-l] Contradictions between Shankara and his disciples

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Fri Jan 2 20:05:01 CST 2004

On Thu, 1 Jan 2004, Aravind Mohanram wrote:

> HERE IS MY QUESTION - AN ILLUSORY TIGER CAN WAKE UP A PERSON IN A DREAM,
> BECAUSE IN REALITY THERE IS A TIGER AND THE PERSON MIGHT HAVE COME
> ACROSS THIS REAL TIGER WHICH MIGHT HAVE FORMED IMPRESSIONS ON HIS SUBTLE
> BODY. ISN'T THAT TRUE? CORRECT ME, IF I'M WRONG.

Yes.  In the same way everyone has some inkling of truth, consciousness
and bliss (sat, chit, ananda) but this has become distorted due to maya.
Through Vedantic sadhana, one can recollect the knowledge of these things
that was lost.

> Read the BR^hadaaraNyaka upanishhad 4.3.22, which says that in Brahman,
> the Vedas are no Vedas.
>
> I'LL LOOK INTO IT. I BELIEVE YOU ARE QUOTING THIS TO PROVE THE ILLUSORY
> NATURE OF THE VEDAS.
>
> > In the Gita, verse 2.12, Krishna talks about the individuality of the
> > Himself, Arjuna and the kings - this is a clear indication that Lord
> > Krishna sees plurality and provides His timeless instructions because
> > of the difference that is perceived between the teacher, Himself and
> > the taught, Arjuna. Any comments?
> >

> The verse would be perfectly true even if there were only one Self in
> multiple bodies.
>
> IF THAT IS ACCEPTED, WHY IS THAT THE ONE SELF APPEARS TO BE IN ILLUSION
> IN ARJUNA'S BODY, BUT NOT SO IN KRISHNA'S BODY.

But it does.  When Bhagavan shows Arjuna his vishvarupa, it is totally
different.  The Lord takes on different forms to suit the capacity of the
bhakta.  (Arjuna is terrified and begs Him to resume the form of his
childhood friend Krishna.)