[Advaita-l] Shankara Bhashyas

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 12 01:27:06 CST 2004

Dear Venkatraman

i am not sure whether you can read and understand tamil.  If yes, just go to buy Bhagavad Gita Bhashya translated into Tamil by Sri Sundaraja Sharma.  He is a one who has learned traditionally and has translated it well.  Even H.H. Sri Sringeri Jagadguru sri Sachidananda Shivabhinvava Nrusimha Bharathy Maha Swamigal has appreciated it.  So as the Kanchi Paramacharya.  i think that would be enough of authenticity.

i have personally read the work to some extent.  it is fine and reliable.

in case only English is necessary - people say the Samata's translation by Alladi Mahadeva is the best.  but costly.

the entire upanishad bhashya translation into English, no one has done completely like what Swami Gambhirananda has done.  No Shankara Math has ventured so far anything like that.

For Isavasya Upanishad Bhashya alone - Holenarsipur Swamiji has done a marvelous work. For kena his half finished work remains unprinted.

S Venkatraman <svenkat52 at yahoo.com> wrote:
Namaste,

Thanks to the discussions on this list, recently I discovered the excellent translation of Gita Bhashya by Shri Krishna Warrier. Previously I was referring to only the translation by Swami Gambhirananda. I will not say that one translation is better than the other; both are equally good. But what I find in the past few days I have been reading Shri Warrier's translation is that reading both the translations unlocks the meaning of the Gita Shlokas much better than what each individually could do. So my question to the respected members is, 'Has Shri Warrier translated Shankara bhashyas on Upanishads and Brahma Sutras as well?'. If not, are there translations other than that of Swami Gambhirananda (which alone I now have) of Brahma Sutra and Upanishad Bhashyas?.

Many thanks and pranams,
Venkat - M

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org