[Advaita-l] RE: Ananda, Chaitanya

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 07:28:41 CDT 2004

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 00:02:47 -0400 (EDT), Jaldhar H. Vyas
<jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:
>
> > Some of them do have aananda, though not at the end, e.g.,
> > saccidaananda bhaaratii. Since aananda is not a da"sanaamii suffix,
>
> What about Swami Shankarananda Sarasvati the author of Atma Purana and

Just like the example I gave - sacchidaananda bharatii, the aananda
suffix occurs in the middle, not at the end. I am not aware of any
sannyaasins with names aananda at the end initiated at "s.rngeri. Most
seem to be bhaaratii or tiirtha even in modern times.

> commentaries on Gita and Upanishads.  He was the paramaguru of Swami
> Vidyaranya and himself occupied the Shrngeri pitha did he not.  His gurus
> name was Anandatma.

"Sa.mkaraananda sarasvatii never occupied the "s.rngeri seat. He is
not mentioned in the list provied by the ma.tha.

> A lot of the associations in these lists seem to be rather theoretical.
> The correspondence of a Veda with each pitha is another example.

I agree.

Rama