[Advaita-l] RE: "Tat Tvam Asi" and "So Aham"

Vidyasankar Sundaresan svidyasankar at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:26:10 CDT 2004

>I beleive that both these senteces are logical trying
>to say the principle of advaita. if i translate these
>senteces to english it becomes " You are that" and
>"Iam Him".

Your translation is correct.

>Now my question is , in the sentences " So Aham" ,
>there are only 2 entities "Sah"(HE) "Aham" (ME) ,
>which means after the process of realisation , "Aham"
>Merges with "Sah" and results in one entity,

The subtle point is that even this "merging into one" is a manner of
speaking only. Full realization in the advaita sense involves realizing that
there were no two entities to begin with.

>But in the sentence "Tat Tvam Asi" , I feel There are
>3 entities , "Tat"(THAT), "Tvam"(YOU) and "THE THIRD
>PERSON" , who is *telling* this sentence.In True
>essence there must be only 2 entities(before
>realisation), but why are there 3 entities in this
>sentence?

In true essence, there is only one entity. However, continuing to speak in
terms of before and after realization, the instant you give room for two
entities before realization, there is room for infinite entities. The third
entity in the sentence tat tvam asi is the guru who reveals this truth to
the disciple. The true guru who can reveal the truth is one who has already
realized the truth as "So'ham", so even this apparent third entity, the
speaker of "you are that", is in essence identical with the second entity,
the he in "I am he".

Regards,
Vidyasankar