Vedic Chanting (was Re: [Advaita-l] Ganesha)

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 12:07:00 CDT 2004

Hello Anand,

Sorry, I gave a bad example. I should have mentioned that they chant
all sanskrit that way. For example, in the vi.s.nu sahasranaamam, the
sentence would be chanted:

vi"sva.m vi.snurva.sa.tkaaro bhuutabhavya bhava prabuhu | (end of sentence)

by us.

The namputhiris do not say prabuhu, but prabhu.h - an actual visarga
even at the end of the sentence. This principle carries over to their
vedic chanting also.

The Sringeri chanting style is interesting. I have not seen the .rg
veda chanted without the accents in Tamil Nadu, i.e., with the vowels
elongated some times.

It is interesting to go to the kapalii"svarar temple in Mylapore
during prado"sam. There are people chanting from every veda. There is
whole horde (and I mean horde) of people chanting the yajur, a few .rg
and a handful chanting the saama veda.

Rama