[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita and Narakam

Raghavendra N Kalyan kalyan7429 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 14:27:48 CST 2004

Namaste SrI Jayanarayanan-ji

>If I remember right, the description in VishhNu PurANa of the various
>hells starting with raurava, ends with, "Heaven and hell are but states
>of the mind" - thereby implying that svarga and naraka are subjective
>and not objective worlds. If someone has the VP with him, he may be
>able to verify this.

You are right. I referred to the English translation of Vishnu Purana (in five volumes) by H H Wilson. The reference is in Volume 2 of the translation.

Vishnu Purana, Book 2, Chapter 6.  Here go the relevant portions -

"Heaven (svarga) is that which delights the mind; Hell (naraka) is that which gives it pain. Hence vice is called hell and virtue is called heaven."

Some sentences later, it also says -

"Pleasure, pain are merely definitions of the various states of mind."

All these come AFTER the description of the various hells. Indeed, we advaitins are right about the interpretations of svarga and naraka.

Regards
Raghavendra