[Advaita-l] Queries to learn and transform

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 18:01:47 CDT 2004

--- "Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar at braincells.com> wrote:

[..]

> So perhaps I should not have so emphatically stated that they cannot.
>  But
> even in the earlier message I said the deciding factor is
> self-awareness.
> A creature which does not have the idea of selfhood even in the
> limited
> conventional sense obviously cannot comprehend the idea of universal
> self.

I did not refer to your old posting to point out that you had changed
your mind. We all change our opinions, and it makes no difference to a
current discussion if you had a different opinion on the matter a few
years ago.

My point was that you had previously given examples from *scripture* to
show that animals can be self-realized:

1) kAka bhushuNDi in the rAmAyaNa and Yoga VaasishhTha.
2) Gajendra of the BhAgavatam.

And we even have corroboration of a person respected by the tradition:

3) Ramana maharshi has said that animals can be self-realized (I think
this is in the context of the samAdhi of cow Lakshmi in the
Ramanasramam).

If would be a good idea to look at the quotes from the above