[Advaita-l] clarification on terminology

Sanskrit Beginner sanskrit_beginner at unlimitedmail.org
Wed Sep 1 01:54:24 CDT 2004

namo namah

 I would like to understand the differences between the terms
used frequently in discussion on advaita vedanta. Request
members' help, with establishing a context to understand it in
as well.

What is maya?
What is mithya? How is it different from maya?
What is avidya? How is it different from maya and mithya?
What is satya? how is it different from asatya and mithya?
Is there a difference between jiva and atma? What is the
difference between jiva and paramatma?
What is a pramana? Is there a difference between pramana and
prameya?
Is vidya merely knowledge of satya and knowledge of
differentiating it from everything else?

Are these merely sanskrit terms to be understood, or are there
historical/philosophical connotations behind these that one
should be aware of as well?

I know these would be highly emperical questions, but I
thought its better to be a fool for a day than be one forever!
More to come as I encounter basic confusions.

dhanyavaadah

Message sent from the
Unlimited Mail Free Services Platform.
http://www.unlimitedmail.net