[Advaita-l] Is the Acharya's remark correct

venkata subramanian venkat_advaita at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 01:57:31 CDT 2004

this is too quite reasonable.  the Jyothisha talks about apparent movements and that Anga being taken in the Upanishadic language.

its quite interesting.

Thanks for the reply.

"Subrahmanian, Sundararaman V [FI]" <sundararaman.v.subrahmanian at citigroup.com> wrote:
> in the Mundaka Bhashya, the Acharya mentions that it is in fear of Him that the Sun
> revolves round the earth like a Chakra......
>
> is He not aware of the heliocentric theory ?
>
> if he is not aware, how can he be a Sarvajna ?
> If he is aware, how has he made such a erroneous point ?

Apparent movement, not actual movement [1]. jyotishA considers apparent movement, not the actual movement[2] (Ex: retrograde movement of planets - as observed from earth). By convention, it is convenient to express as if all Planets, Moon and Sun revolve round the earth. In the context of a Vedic school where upaniShad-s would be taught along with jyotiShA, it would be appropriate to say so.

(~500 years after Galileo proved that the Earth revolves round the Sun) Don't we still say: "Offer arghyam in the morning facing the rising sun". Does the Sun rise?

[1] Imagine that if train A moves and train B is stationary. Then we could easily shift the frame of reference to train B and observe train A moving in the reverse direction. Can't we?

[2] Only the frame of reference is differnt, but the measurements are actual, not fictitious even in jyotiShA.

SVS
Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org

Thanks & Regards,