[Advaita-l] Questions about mergence

Guru Meditation killuminati at onetel.com
Mon Apr 4 19:17:09 CDT 2005

Hari Om!

I read Viveka-cudAmaNi by ZaGkarAcArya, and I found that the description of mukti by ZaGkara seems to fit very broadly with(in) the concept of jIvanmukti. I have some questions:

- Is it possible for any knowledgeable devotee here to provide authentic references from ZaGkara's works that describe the "mergence" of jIva and Brahman *after the jIva has left the physical body* and attains full mukti?

- What is the proper orthodox Advaitin understanding of this "bodiless" mukti where the jIva is completely merged in Brahman?

- Is there any vestige of individuality left, or is it total and complete mergence?

References from ZaGkara's works would be appreciated in presenting the answers to these points, thank you.

Regards,

D. Jay

P.S. I asked this same question on the "advaitins" yahoogroup and was directed to the translation of ZaGkara's Brahma-sUtra bhASya by Swami Krishnananda, Adhyaya 4 - http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/bs_4/bs_4.html - being told that this would answer my question.

I see from this translation that "avibhAgena dRSTatvAt" is supposedly interpreted to mean that the released soul attains a state of non-separation from Brahman, yet the successive verses speak of the released soul and a discussion about the limitations of their attained powers. How do we understand ZaGkara's teaching in terms of mergence, what exactly does mergence mean here? The commentary to the successive verses give the impression that the mukta retains individuality and has all powers of Brahman except the power of creation. Is this so?

In Thibaut's translation (http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe34/sbe34006.htm): "Of the released soul it is said in /Kh/. Up. VIII, 12, 3 that after it has manifested itself in its true nature it moves about playing and rejoicing with women, carriages, and so on." This reference is not given in Krishnananda's translation.

What I would like to ask here is that, according to the Advaita-vAda of ZaGkara, does the mukta retain individuality upon reaching ("merging") in Brahman? Is this the teaching of ZaGkara? Individuality is not extinguished as such?