[Advaita-l] Re: Universe - finite or infinite?

ramesh badisa badisa66 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 07:58:04 CDT 2005

“If purusha is infinite, so must be a quarter of the purusha”

Badisa: Your opinions are respectable. But, please quote sruti references to your views.

“Exactly the opposite – ”

Badisa: Who has to say this?

for there is no reason why a part of infinity cannot be infinity”

Badisa: Please quote sruti authority for your understanding.

“Please provide complete quotes with references of Shankara”

Badisa: Please refer 10/42 in “The Bhagavad Gita with the commentary of Sri Sankaracharya, Samata Books, Madras, by sri Alladi Mahadeva Sastry.

Also please refer 10/42 in “Bhagavad Gita Bhasya of sri Sankaracharya” with text and English translation, by Dr. A. G. Krishna Warrier, published from sri Ramakrishna Math, Madras.

“In this case, since the purushha is

infinite, the universe is also infinite, for one-fourth of infinity is infinity!”

Badisa: The moment you say “one-fourth”, you are invariably implying its finite nature. There is no doubt about it. But, as always I respect the views expressed by you. Can you quote some references if possible?

“All of scripture leads to only one conclusion -- the created universe is infinite”

Badisa: The references quoted earlier by me do not conclude your above views please.

Namaste