[Advaita-l] Yoga and Vedantha

Vivekshankar Natarajan nvivekshankar at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 13:49:39 CDT 2005

Dear Moderators( Kind Attention: Sri Vidyasankar Sundaresan)

As I read the first post of Sri Vidyasankar, I was reminded of a doubt that has been long lingering in my mind. This pertains to the link between yoga and Vedantha( Advaitha more specifically). I was once told by my guru(he comes in the shisya parampara of Sri Sachidandeshwara Saraswathi of Holenarsipur) that yoga is very subsidiary in the study of Vedantha. The final stage is got  only by realization of one self and that comes by self knowledge. My reading and understanding of yoga leads me to believe that it has useful practices for removing Vasanas and preparing the stage for self realization. What is view of scholars(esp Shankara) of Advaitha on Yoga system? I request to answer this either separately or as a part of your posts on Yoga in the context of Sreemad Bhagavat Gita.

Vivek Shankar Natarajan

 809,West Abram Street,#103,

Arlington,76013.

Tel:817-548-8863

Arise ,Awake and Stop not till the Goal is Reached !