[Advaita-l] Mundaka Upanishad

Aditya Varun Chadha adichad at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 11:02:12 CDT 2005

Greetings,

In "vedic times" students had the duty of collecting firewood for the
Ashrams and for the guru's home, part of the largely self-sufficient
economic structure of these pyres of learning. firewood was used in
yagya as well as for cooking. A prospective student would thus carry
firewood as "arpaN" and as a first sign that he is ready for life
under the guru's care.

Sometimes the guru might deem a prospective shishya unfit or unready,
in which case I am not sure whether the usual was to leave the
firewood at the guru's feet or take it back. Maybe someone can provide
some sources to clarify this. I would suppose that the firewood was
still left at the guru's feet as a sign of respect.

basically firewood was used to signify sincerity and respect. another
question is whether this first-given firewood was used in some
"special" yagya for the new student, something like symbolic
initiation. to my understanding this was not so.

--
Aditya